Saturday, May 29, 2004

I meant to do something useful today. . . .

But instead, I frittered it away by knitting all day in front of the "I Love the 80's Strikes Back" marathon on VH-1. Squid and I determined that these VH-1 retro-pop-culture shows are like caramel corn--you don't necessarily go out looking for caramel corn, but if some is right there, and you start eating it, you'll NEVER STOP. Not until it's all gone. And you enjoy it, but you have a bit of a stomach ache afterwards. However, all the time with the knitting means I have some stuff to report in the status part of the blog. Whoopee!

Hot Tang! Whoo! I owe y'all an explanation, I believe. Whilst camping last week, someone came up with the genius idea of making Tang orange drink with the hot water for tea/cocoa instead of the traditional cold water. It was a chilly, damp morning, so a warm beverage was a good idea. And behold! It wasn't half bad. Of course, as news of hot-water Tang started to spread around our little group, we got an inordinate amount of joy out of saying "Hot Tang!" Wouldn't you? I mean, 1. It sounds awfully dirty; and 2. If you give it that James Brown "Hot Pants!" emphasis, it's a LOT of fun. As we were sitting around the campfire that night, drinking, eating (including those tasty little cakes cooked in orange skins--which I hadn't had since Brownie Day Camp), and talking, we decided to make some sort of Hot Tang! cocktail. We concluded that Tang + Vodka + Hot Water would be worth drinking. However, we couldn't agree on a name for a warm fake-orange screwdriver. My geek cred favored the "Sonic Screwdriver" after Dr. Who, but others preferred the "Hot Tang Screw". Which meant, of course, that plain Hot Tang would be a Virgin Hot Tang Screw. Oy. Such a crowd we hang with.

Okay, enough! On to the knitting news:

Finished: Nothing more, yet. Still needing to sew that strap onto Round About.
On the Needles: No progress on the socks, Skully, or Fiona, but! I've put tons of stripes onto the Sleeping Hat--I should finish it tonight or tomorrow, no sweat. I've switched off the circ to dpns, and I'm down to 30 stitches on the needles at this point. I'm also well into the 2nd repeat of rows on the Colinette throw.

Obligatory Cultural References
Reading: Finished I had Brain Surgery . . . in record time, as predicted, and started on The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri for book club.
Listening to: U2 is up in the iTunes party shuffle. First 10 random iTunes tracks tonight, since it's fun:
Mary, Morphine (live)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, U2
Kiss Me Like You Mean It, Magnetic Fields
Ha Ha High Babe, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Help!, Beatles
Poor Poor Pitiful Me, Warren Zevon
KJ102 Sign-off, (courtesy of the Boogiemonster)
Snow Cherries From France, Tori Amos
Hats Off to (Roy) Harper, Led Zepplin
Postcard Blues, Cowboy Junkies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home